Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Don't Want To Talk

Today was one of those days when Lizzie's brain played tricks on her at work, and she didn't want to come home. This has happened several times in the past couple of months, so I am used to it. Thankfully I have compassionate bosses! Today's call rang in a few minutes after I had already left work. I heard her agitated voice in the background. "I don't want to talk to her." "I don't want to go home." "Why can't I stay here?" "You don't understand."

No, I guess we don't understand. How can we? How can I? All I have is the book knowledge about AD ... and sometimes it's hard to comprehend exactly what it does to the brain and its functioning.

I told her trainer that I would be there in a few minutes. When I arrived and she saw me, Lizzie smiled and greeted me with a hug. Imagine that!?!?! I was totally confused, put my arms around her, and simply said, "Let's go home." And home we went without a fuss.

I am writing this 3 hours later, and we are eating dinner now. My sister is deeply engaged in a conversation with her "committee" as I refer to the voices she seems to verbally be responding to in some manner. Other than that, she appears happy and content. It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment