Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Day Visit

I went to see Lizzie at her day care program yesterday. It was 2:00 and she was already sitting in a "waiting" chair at the front door ... waiting for someone to come pick her up and take her to dinner. When she saw me, the first words after her usual greeting were, "Are we going out for dinner?" This seems to be the #1 thought obsession for her. She says it soon after breakfast; soon after lunch; and sometimes soon after dinner.

Choices has expanded it's facility, and so I asked for a tour. I also asked to use the RR. While in there, I could hear Lizzie saying, "Where is my sister. They took my sister away. That's not nice." She kept repeating it and as she did, her voice became increasingly agitated.

Her trainer was able to calm her down ... God bless Sonja! She went back to her chair at the front door, took out her blue folder, and sat quietly waiting for her ride home. She seemed to forget about me being there ... the old "out of sight out of mind" idea ... and so I snuck out the door without saying good-bye so as not to agitate her again.

Does anyone ever get used to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment